In this episode: guidebooks, hiking in Converse All-Stars, and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (it’s a real thing). We talk with hiker, guidebook author and licensed therapist Scott Turner.
- 01:35 – How Scott got started hiking seriously
- 05:30 – History of the Afoot & Afield book
- 06:47 – The journey from avid hiker to hiking guidebook author
- 09:34 – Changing and updating Afoot & Afield, San Diego County (adding 50 new hikes)
- 12:38 – Scott’s favorite experience from the book? Rabbit Peak
- 16:25 – The Hike the Parks book series
- 20:28 – What information do your books provide to keep people safe?
- 21:53 – How many trips does it take to collect the data for a guidebook?
- 25:10 – Surprising sources of information for Scott’s guidebooks
- 26:47 – The AllTrails/Instagram Effect vs printed hiking guides
- 34:43 – The benefits of getting outdoors (from a therapist’s perspective)
- 42:40 – EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, bi-lateral stimulation, and Scott’s theory about a potential connection to hiking
- 47:25 – Favorite guidebooks that you didn’t write
- 52:37 – Mappy Hour and the joy of maps, trip and adventure sharing
- 54:15 – How many therapists does it take to change a lightbulb?
- 54:45 – Tips & tricks for leveling-up your hiking
- 59:48 – Upcoming adventures
Mentioned in this Episode
- Afoot & Afield, San Diego County
- Adventure 16
- Modern Hiker (check out Episode 14 for our interview with Casey Schreiner)
- Hike the Parks: Joshua Tree National Park
- Hike the Parks: Zion & Bryce Canyon National Park
- Hike the Parks: Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park
- Park Rx America
- Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern California by Shawnté Salabert (check out Episode 6 for our interview with Shawnté
- Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook by Andrew Doughty
- Mappy Hour
- Wilderness Basics Course (San Diego)
- Wilderness Travel Course (Los Angeles area)
- Instagram: @scottturnerhikes
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.