In this episode, Griffith Park, mountain lions, blogs, Lyme disease, and the benefits of local hiking. We’re talking with Casey Schreiner, Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Modern Hiker and author of LA Times bestseller ‘Discovering Griffith Park.’
- 01:00 – What is Modern Hiker how did it get started?
- 03:50 – First book: ‘Day Hiking Los Angeles’
- 08:00 – What makes Griffith Park a special place
- 14:50 – Mountain lions, rattlesnakes and other wildlife of Griffith Park
- 16:50 – Personal highlights of Griffith Park
- 20:10 – The “best” way to hike to the Hollywood Sign
- 24:06 – Did you ever imagine that hiking would be a big part of your identity?
- 26:00 – Advocacy for the outdoors vs social shaming
- 34:39 – ‘Lost LA’ history show on KCET, and the “Untold History of Griffith Park”
- 36:25 – Getting caught in the big earthquake in Nepal
- 39:13 – Favorite international hike
- 40:45 – The joy and benefits of local hikes and parks
- 45:30 – The best ways to find local parks and trails
Mentioned in this Episode
- Modern Hiker
- Day Hiking Los Angeles
- Discovering Griffith Park
- Lost LA – The Untold History of Griffith Park
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply