On this episode, gravel bike racing in Morocco, saddle sores, Zima, and The Big Lonely. We’re talking with ultra-adventure cyclist Jesse Blough, racer, organizer of The Big Lonely and founder of the NWC Adventure Access Fund.
- 00:54 – Tapering off caffeine
- 02:23 – The 1,037-mile Arkansas High Country Race
- 04:05 – Bike and gear that he’ll be using (the “mullet” setup)
- 05:32 – The balance between sleeping and riding
- 06:45 – How Jesse got into cycling (it started with a broken back)
- 07:50 – Hosting The Big Lonely (an unsupported bikepacking race)
- 10:43 – Jesse’s training regimen
- 12:55 – Going from racing to organizing races
- 14:14 – Northwest Competitive Adventure
- 16:35 – Advice for someone looking to enter The Big Lonely (or something similar)
- 19:10 – What is the NWC Adventure Access Fund?
- 22:10 – Fatherhood and encouraging a life of adventure
- 23:28 – The process of having a bike custom-made in Germany (hint: start by riding 10,000 miles a year)
- 27:28 – The Atlas Mountain Race in Morocco
- 29:29 – What are the obstacles from preventing racing during the pandemic?
- 34:55 – Making a documentary about The Big Lonely (to premier on bikepacking.com)
- 34:45 – Gravel bike vs mountain bike for races like The Big Lonely
- 37:43 – An ultramarathoner who lives (and trains!) on a yacht
- 42:05 – TASTE TEST: Canned cocktails Part One – Moscow Mules
Mentioned in this Episode
- The Arkansas High Country Race
- The Big Lonely
- Northwest Competitive Adventure
- The NWC Adventure Access Fund
- Atlas Mountain Race
- Follow @thegreatjesse and @northwestcompetitive on Instagram
- Cutwater Spirits’ Whiskey Mule ????????????
- Pabst Blue Ribbon Ginger Whiskey Mule ????????????
- Thanks to Looney Bean Coffee for hosting us in their backyard in Bend
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.