In this episode: Self defense, solo hiking, the flat part of the Inca Trail, and the Zombie Apocalypse. We talk with Nicole Snell, CEO of Girls Fight Back, dynamic international speaker, host and full-contact self-defense instructor specializing in sexual assault and violence prevention education, personal safety and empowerment.
- 01:00 – Introduction to Nicole Snell
- 02:34 – Saveria gives the Outdoor Defense series a thumbs up
- 03:35 – “Is it safe to hike solo?”
- 08:28 – When do you not hike solo?
- 12:23 – Thoughts on hiking with headphones and awareness
- 14:30 – Learning to ride a motorcycle and the zombie apocalypse
- 16:10 – Getting started in self-defense training
- 18:48 – Adrenaline-based training
- 23:22 – How Nicole got into hiking and the outdoors
- 26:25 – Day 2 on the Inca Trail
- 30:43 – “What if…” I come across someone on the trail that makes me uncomfortable?
- 34:00 – Your safety is more important than someone’s feelings
- 36:30 – Bear spray, pepper spray, knives, and other weapons and the importance of knowing your stuff
- 46:22 – How to learn more about Nicole
Mentioned in this Episode
- Girls Fight Back
- Impact Personal Safety
- Outdoor Defense
- Hiking Solo as a Woman – AdventurUS Women
- Connect with Nicole on Instagram @adventuresofnik, @girlsfightback, & @impactpersonalsafety
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.