The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Ever wonder what it’s like to hike a really long hike? Maybe the Pacific Crest Trail isn’t long enough? In this episode we talk to Jon Schwartze, aka Airborne about really long distance hiking, with a follow-up interview on hiking in the age of Coronavirus.
- 01:15 – Introducing Jon Schwarze (Airborne)
- 01:35 – Yo-yo hike of the Pacific Crest Trail in 2018 (5,300 miles)
- 02:05 – Hoka One One Challenger ATR shoes
- 02:25 – T-Rex syndrome
- 03:45 – Battling the caloric deficit
- 05:18 – How did you become a thru-hiker?
- 08:32 – Hypothermia in the Sierra Nevada mountains
- 10:28 – Finishing the PCT yo-yo and adjusting to life at home
- 13:05 – The Great Western Loop (7,000+ miles)
- 16:02 – Training for a super-long thru-hike
- 17:09 – Planning an “encore”
- 18:45 – The one piece of gear that you would never go without
- 21:13 – Other types of adventures
- 23:18 – April 2020 update from Airborne off the Great Western Loop
- 25:37 – The shock of coming off trail to a world changed by pandemic
- 37:12 – Plans to get back out on the trail?
- 39:08 – What do you do to stay positive and motivated?
- 42:30 – Hiking out to civilization and a ride home (safely)
- 47:43 – Threats of getting shot
- 50:27 – How far did you get on the Great Western Loop?
Mentioned in this Episode
- Follow Jon Schwarze on Instagram
- Great Western Loop – Andrew Skurka
- Thru-hiker lingo
- Superior Wilderness Designs
- onX Hunt App
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.