The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
This episode is all about the Wonderland Trail, a 93-mile loop around Mount Rainier. We get three different perspectives on the trek, including a discussion with co-hosts Jason, Jeff and their friend Derek who hiked it over 13 days, Mac from Halfway Anywhere who hiked it in three days, and Paulina from Little Grunts who had a less-than-stellar experience with the Pacific Northwest weather.
- 1:40 – Derek Loranger, Jason and Jeff and 13 days on the Wonderland Trail
- 3:40 – Failing at the permit lottery and getting walk-in permits
- 4:45 – The mindset of thru-hiking
- 7:30 – A brutal Day Two
- 9:00 – Getting prime campsites on the second half
- 10:50 – Tips and tricks for staying dry in the rainy PNW (or trying to)
- 14:30 – What surprised you about the Wonderland Trail?
- 16:25 – How Jeff, Jason and Derek met
- 20:14 – A low moment at Dick Creek
- 22:34 – Keeping in touch with family while thru-hiking
- 24:22 – Highlights of the Wonderland Trail
- Impromptu birthday party at Summerland
- Swimming in the lakes
- Those views!
- Cheeseburgers at Sunrise
- 28:30 – Burger Bench, and what post-hike burger do you crave?
- 29:01 – What advice would you give someone who wants to hike the Wonderland Trail?
- 33:10 – Introductions with Mac (Halfway Anywhere) & Paulina Dao (Little Grunts)
- 36:00 – Mac’s experience hiking the Wonderland Trail without a permit (legally)
- 39:40 – Paulina’s 10-day Wonderland Trail plan
- 41:26 – Making the decision to bail
- 48:59 – What got you into backpacking?
- 52:20 – Future plans: The Great Divide Trail in 2021
Mentioned in this Episode
- 100 Peaks – Derek’s hiking blog
- Burger Bench – Derek’s burger shop in Escondido, CA
- SoCalHiker.net – 13 Days on the Wonderland Trail
- Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge
- Halfway Anywhere – Mac’s hiking blog
- Little Grunts – Paulina’s blog
- The Great Divide Trail
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
Leave a Reply