On this episode: the Oregon Desert Trail, hikertrash, the Camp-Mor catalog, and ground-truthing. We’re talking with Renee Patrick, self-identified as hikertrash who has been hiking for decades and is currently coordinator for the Oregon Desert Trail.
Renee is a triple-crown thru-hiker with over 20 years of experience planning, hiking, and improving long-distance trails. She is an environmentalist and passionate outdoor enthusiast who believes that long-distance hiking can deepen our relationship with the landscapes and environmental issues that desperately need more advocates
In this Episode
- Oregon Desert Trail – A 750-mile route that traverses some of the most spectacular natural areas of the state’s dry side, including the Oregon Badlands Wilderness, Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge, Steens Mountain, the Pueblo Mountains and the Owyhee Canyonlands.
- The Peace Corps (unintentionally) helped prepare Renee for long-distance hiking
- Appalachian Trail – Renee’s first thru-hike
- Pacific Crest Trail – One of her favorite distance trails
- Wonderland Trail
- Arizona Trail
- Continental Divide Trail – Capped off her Triple Crown
- Apps: FarOut Guides and Gaia GPS
- Blue Mountains Trail and Renee’s article on the history of the trail.
- Ground truthing: the facts that are found when a location shown on a map, air photograph, or satellite image is checked on the ground (i.e. hiked), as validation.
Connect with Renee Patrick
- She-ra Hikes – Her personal website
- Renee Patrick – Long Distance Trail Consulting – Renee provides insight and services to help long-distance trail organizations and developers to improve the hiking experience and inspire action on behalf of the environment.
- You can find her on Instagram @wearehikertrash
Become a Patron
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is and will always be free. If you’d like to help us keep the lights on, we are now on Patreon, where you can support our work with a bus or two (or more) each month. Send us some green and help us keep the pod rolling!
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply