On this episode: Sierra cups, self-arresting, safety, and learning to live. We’re talking with Ned Tibbits.
Ned has worked as a U.S.F.S Wilderness Ranger, Rural and Urban Paramedic, Professional and Volunteer Ski Patrolman, Sheriff’s Department Search & Rescue Member, and currently maintains certificates in Emergency Medical Technician-Instructor, NOLS Wilderness EMT, the National Ski Patrol, the Wilderness Medical Society’s Fellow and Diploma in Mountain Medicine status, Amateur Radio, and Search & Rescue Instructor.
Ned has thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (1974), bicycle-camped 5,000 miles in Europe (1979), completed half of the Continental Divide Trail (1980), and hiked, skied, and snow-shoed his favorite trail, the John Muir Trail many times.
- 01:10 – Introducing Ned Tibbits
- 03:50 – Why are more people getting in trouble on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) this year?
- 07:45 – The “WILD” effect and the importance of preparation and training
- 11:55 – What Ned learned from thru-hiking the PCT in 1974
- 14:50 – Advice for future PCT thru-hikers
- 18:40 – Self-arrest tools and recommendations on snow travel skills
- 33:20 – The transformative personal impact of thru-hiking the PCT
- 38:00 – Ned’s “Learning to Live” series
- 44:30 – The internal challenges of thru-hiking
- 48:00 – Trip research: Vetting sources for information online
- 53:40 – Connecting with Ned and Wrap-up
Mentioned in this Episode
Become a Patron
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is and will always be free. If you’d like to help us keep the lights on, we are now on Patreon, where you can support our work with a bus or two (or more) each month. Send us some green and help us keep the pod rolling!
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.