On this episode: Mantras, billionaires ranches, fried chicken, DFL, and Yellowstone. We’re talking with Gary Chrisman an amazing bikepacker with a long history of outdoor adventures — skiing, BMX, backpacking and more. We talk about his “soulful cycling challenge” circumnavigating the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, riding 1,200 miles with 85,000 feet of elevation gain over 14 days.
This conversation with Gary reminded us that epic adventure can start right at your doorstep.
- 01:10 – Introducing Gary Chrisman
- 05:20 – What it was like when he started mountain biking in the late 1980s.
- 08:10 – Overview of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem ride (the GYE)
- 14:40 – The health of the GYE from the view of a bike
- 17:00 – Is the GYE an adventure that others can tackle?
- 19:00 – Highs and lows on the GYE
- 26:30 – How much food, water, etc. did you carry and what did resupply look like?
- 31:30 – What bike did you take on the GYE?
- 38:45 – Upcoming adventures
- 42:00 – Mapping and tools for route planning
- 47:15 – E-bikes
- 50:30 – Tubeless tires
- 53:35 – Other recent adventures
- 57:05 – What are some mantras that work for you?
- 67:50 – Wrap-up
You can find Gary on Instagram at @tetonmntrider. His riding partner Don wrote a blog post detailing their trip on the GYE with more details and photos.
Mentioned in this Episode
- Skyline to the Sea Trail in Santa Cruz
- Greater Yellowstone Coalition
- Salsa Fargo
- San Juan Huts
- Caribou Loop Trail
- Ride With GPS
- White Rim Trail
- Jay Petervery
- The Oregon Timber Trail
- The Big Lonely
Become a Patron
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is and will always be free. If you’d like to help us keep the lights on, we are now on Patreon, where you can support our work with a bus or two (or more) each month. Send us some green and help us keep the pod rolling!
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply