On this episode: Ultramans, the lakes of Arizona, “DFL,” and “are all race directors sadists?” We’re talking with Jen McVeay, race director for Ultraman Florida, Ultraman Arizona, and a whole bunch of events on Oahu where she lives.
- 01:00 – Introducing Jen McVeay
- 03:30 – What is an “Ultraman” race?
- 05:00 – Crewing for a competitor
- 07:00 – What is the maximum number of competitors at an Ultraman race?
- 08:45 – How do you qualify to do an Ultraman race?
- 11:05 – The role of the race director, and when do you start planning an event?
- 15:50 – How Jen became a race director
- 26:15 – The lakes of Arizona and in the inaugural Ultraman Arizona
- 33:00 – Jen recruits Jeff and Jason to crew (and finding crew members in general)
- 36:00 – Building community among the athletes and crews
- 42:20 – Are all race directors sadists?
- 49:40 – The 2023 dates for Ultraman Florida and Ultraman Arizona
- 50:50 – What advice or motivation would you give to an athlete interested in making the jump to an Ultraman race?
- 57:35 – Crewing an event in Alaska
- 59:10 – Wrap-up
Mentioned in this Episode
Become a Patron
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is and will always be free. If you’d like to help us keep the lights on, we are now on Patreon, where you can support our work with a bus or two (or more) each month. Send us some green and help us keep the pod rolling!
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply