On this episode: bars, gear stickers, Kansas, and real food. We’re talking with Kate Schade, founder of Kate’s Real Food, which makes what Forbes magazine says is the “best little energy bar in America.”
We learn how Kate went from making bars for herself to fuel her outdoor adventures… to making them for friends, then selling them to local stores in Jackson, WY where she was living, to now having her bars on Delta flights all over the world!
Also discussed the challenges of being an entrepreneur and figuring out work/life balance. And how do you know when you’ve made it?
You can find Kate on Instagram @schadeykate and you can find Kate’s Real Food @katesrealfood and at katesrealfood.com
- 01:00 – Introducing Kate Schade
- 02:20 – A bit about “the Tram Bar” and how Kate’s Real Food got started
- 06:50 – Making the jump into retail
- 10:35 – Going nationwide
- 15:50 – How you get someone to move from the Teton Valley to Pennsylvania
- 16:30 – Growing pains and challenges
- 20:30 – How big is Kate’s Real Food today?
- 21:00 – What is the bar business like? Friendly or “savage?”
- 23:05 – Rearranging the bars in the stores
- 30:30 – How do you spend time outdoors these days?
- 33:15 – How Teton Valley and Jackson have changed since the ’90s
- 37:10 – Figuring out work/life balance and dealing with burnout
- 43:10 – When was the moment when you realized you had made it?
- 44:45 – Next up for Kate’s Real Food (and Kate)
- 52:00 – Wrap-up
Mentioned in this Episode
- Kate’s Real Food
- Find Kate on Instagram @schadeykate
Become a Patron
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is and will always be free. If you’d like to help us keep the lights on, we are now on Patreon, where you can support our work with a bus or two (or more) each month. Send us some green and help us keep the pod rolling!
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply