On this episode: JMT, hiking amnesia, cairns, and grief. We’re talking with Beth Jeffery, hiker extraordinaire and founder of The Cairn Connection. She started hiking in 2014 and has gone on to hike the JMT four times, summited Mount Whitney eleven times, climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Hood, and turned personal tragedy into an opportunity to help others.
- 00:35 – Introducing Beth Jeffery and how she got started hiking back in 2014
- 03:30 – How climbing Mount Whitney started a transformation
- 05:30 – Why the movie MILE, MILE & A HALF is on her phone
- 08:30 – Her son’s unexpected death, life on and off trail, and quitting her job
- 13:00 – Starting The Cairn Connection
- 23:15 – Volunteering with Search-and-Rescue
- 25:30 – What built her confidence in her journey
- 29:05 – What is so special about the John Muir Trail
- 35:30 – Beth’s process for preparing to explore a new place
Mentioned in this Episode
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.