On this episode: Brisket, woolly adelgids, and summer camp for adults. In our second Women’s History Month podcast episode, we talk with Kate Gates, co-owner of the Mulberry Gap Adventure Basecamp in the southern Appalachian foothills of north Georgia.
- 00:40 – Introducing Kate of Mulberry Gap Adventure Basecamp
- 03:50 – A bit about Mulberry Gap
- 06:05 – Let’s talk about the food (and brisket)
- 10:05 – Why Mulberry Gap is perfect for mountain bikers (and other outdoor adventurers)
- 21:05 – The growth of mountain biking and bikepacking in the south
- 28:00 – Outdoor adventures available in the area
- 29:23 – The summer camp experience
- 33:15 – What it’s like living where you work
- 40:40 – How the property has evolved over the years
- 44:30 – Wildlife in the area
- 46:45 – The woolly adelgid
- 51:39 – Wrap-up
Mentioned in this Episode
- The Woolly Adelgid is an Aphid (pronounced A-fid). That link provides a more scientific explanation of what these terrible creatures do. Adel-Rid is the company Andrew works for.
- Mulberry Gap Adventure Basecamp – official website. You can also find them on Facebook and Instagram at @mulberrygapadvbasecamp
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply