On this episode: Thru-hiking warm fuzzies, lime green Crocs, and being a divemaster. We’re talking with Matthew Hengst, a self-described indigent hiker who recently completed a 5,000 mile hike on the Eastern Continental Trail.
- 0:30 – Introducing Matthew
- 04:15 – What is it like to hike 5,000 miles?
- 06:20 – The biggest animal problem in the south? Hint: it’s not the gators.
- 08:40 – When Matthew got into hiking
- 10:45 – How do you follow up the Eastern Continental Trail (ECT)?
- 12:54 – The transition from 302 days on the trail back to “normal” society
- 14:00 – Physical recovery after the ECT vs the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)
- 16:00 – Biggest challenges on the PCT vs the ECT
- 19:00 – Would you do the PCT or Appalachian Trail (AT) again?
- 20:00 – Footwear (socks, shoes, etc.) for hiking 8,000 miles
- 23:30 – Food on long trails.
- 25:00 – How did you figure out how to connect up the trails that make up the ECT route?
- 28:30 – Mosquitos and “No See-ums”
- 33:40 – The human connection on the trail (and the giant warm fuzzy of thru-hiking)
- 35:40 – Preparing to thru-hike the Continental Divide Trail (CDT)
- 36:00 – Diving, and advice for anyone interested in getting into it
- 41:50 – Completing the Triple Crown (AT, CDT and PCT)… and beyond
- 44:35 – How do you support yourself while you do all this walking?
- 48:10 – Favorite parts of the trails Matt has hiked
- 50:45 – What is a typical day now that he is off-trail?
- 52:41 – What he uses for tech and how he keeps everything connected and charged
Mentioned in this Episode
- Sierra Club Wilderness Travel Course
- John Muir Trail
- Pacific Crest Trail
- Florida Trail
- Appalachian Trail
- Eastern Continental Trail
- Pinhoti Trail
- FarOut Guides (formerly Guthook)
- Continental Divide Trail
- Theodore Solomons Trail
- American Discovery Trail
- Arizona Trail
- International Appalachian Trail
Connect with Matthew online
- First Church of the Masochist – Matthew’s website
- Instagram: @mattonamtn
- Watch Matt’s ECT Vlog on YouTube
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.