On this episode: kilts, pet portraiture, Giardia, and the Colorado Trail. We’re talking with Andrew Marshall, managing editor of Backpacking Light, co-founder of backpackingroutes.com, essayist, poet, painter, fine-art photographer who also hikes.
- 00:45 – Introducing Andrew Marshall
- 01:47 – Co-founding BackpackingRoutes.com
- 8:15 – How Andrew got started painting
- 10:20 – What camera does Andrew shoot with?
- 12:30 – BackpackingLight.com and Andrew’s role
- 14:00 – A single-speed bikepacking trip
- 19:00 – Getting started hiking and backpacking
- 22:30 – Hiking the Appalachian Trail southbound
- 23:44 – Wearing a hiking kilt on the AT
- 28:15 – “Imposter Syndrome” in the hiking community
- 31:30 – Pet portraiture
- 33:00 – Managing many different passions on a day-to-day basis
- 36:30 – Hiking the Colorado Trail (and getting Giardia)
- 44:40 – Is the post-pandemic hiking boom temporary or permanent?
- 48:00 – Depression and the benefits of getting outdoors
- 55:45 – Adventure plans for this summer
Mentioned in this Show
- backpackingroutes.com – a searchable database of backpacking trails
- BeFree water filtration bottle
Connect with Andrew
Andrew Marshall is the Managing Editor and Podcast Producer of Backpacking Light and the co-founder of Backpacking Routes. Andrew is an essayist, poet, painter, and fine-art photographer, with work regularly appearing in prestigious but low-paying national publications. He unashamedly drinks instant coffee when in the backcountry. You can find him on Instagram, Twitter, and at his website. Warning: social media content is mostly cat-related.
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.