On this episode: cats in small children’s clothing, glamour versus reality, and what exactly is a thru-hike? We’re talking with another awesome woman of the outdoors as part of Women’s History Month: Maggie Slepian, hiker, writer, outdoors person and cat dresser.
- 02:00 – How Jason almost knows Maggie (involves the Colorado Trail and an FKT)
- 06:00 – Backpacking, Thru-hiking, and trail cred
- 14:00 – Finding peace in backpacking without fear of judgement (it’s not about how fast or far you go)
- 16:25 – Backpacking is not all sunshine and unicorns (and how do we accurately portray our outdoor experiences on social media?)
- 26:45 – Signs on summits
- 34:30 – Maggies pandemic project: Backpacking Routes
- 41:42 – How hard it is to make a living as a freelance outdoor writer
- 44:00 – What happens in your “dream 2021?” Four thru-hikes: one in each season.
- 46:15 – When does a backpacking trip become a thru-hike? (And does it really matter?!)
- 60:01 – Where you can find Maggie online
Mentioned in this Show
- The Colorado Trail, and Jeff “Legend” Garmire‘s FKT
- You’re Still a Backpacker Even if You’re Not Thru-Hiking
- The Triple Crown: The PCT, CDT and AT
As of the end of the 2018 application period, there have been a total of 396 recognized triple crowners.
- Why Is it So Hard to Honestly Portray Backpacking on Social Media?
- Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge
- The Wonderland Trail
- A plethora of signs on Strawberry Peak
- Trans-Catalina Trail
- American Hiking Society
Find Maggie Online
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.