In this episode, redwoods, snake fear, break dancing, and how to be a better steward of the outdoors. We talk with John “Griff” Griffith, wildlife conservationist, host of Animal Planets ‘Wild Jobs’ and all-around super nature nerd.
- 00:35 – Jason launches his photo website and visits the redwoods, backpacks in the Trinity Alps, and has his scariest wildlife encounter.
- 09:32 – Saveria and the Adventurus Women workshops, and what it’s like to get outdoors and travel during a pandemic.
- 11:39 – Jeff goes camping and gets his dogs “trail-ready.”
- 18:55 – Introducing Griff, the natural and cultural resource interpreter at Humboldt Redwoods State Park.
- 21:25 – The importance of protected natural areas for recreation, biodiversity and more.
- 24:09 – Laura Mahan, her role in saving the redwoods, and why she would be Griff’s first tattoo.
- 30:00 – Why adventurers experience the present moment better than most (mediation + locomotion), which positions them to better understand our connections with nature.
- 35:30 – Avoiding the “terminal experience” in nature.
- 40:30 – The story behind the Boss Dances Like a Boss video.
- 47:35 – Wild Jobs on Animal Planet (you can watch it online).
- 49:36 – How hard it is to get bitten by a rattlesnake, and Griff’s theory about snake fear.
- 52:09 – What can someone do to get into a dream job like Griff?
Mentioned in this Episode
- Jason has launched his photo website: Fitztography.net
- AdventurUs Women
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park
- Trinity Alps Wilderness
- Laura Mahan
- Boss Dances Like a Boss – YouTube
- iNaturalist – great, free app for identifying plants and participating in citizen science.
- Wild Jobs on Animal Planet
- National Association for Interpretation
- California Naturalist Program on Facebook
- Find Griff on Facebook
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.