In this episode, outriggers, the Brad Pitt of Korea and SUP. We speak with Michael Kelley, REI instructor, outrigger canoe and stand-up paddle board racer.
- 00:36 – Introductions
- 4:00 – How Michael first got started in racing outrigger canoes
- 5:31 – Individual and team seasons
- 10:30 – How SUP compares to outrigger canoeing
- 12:07 – What kind of experience you need to get into outrigger canoeing?
- 20:18 – The dynamics and size of the typical outrigger club
- 24:15 – Surfing, SUP, outrigger canoeing… what other sports are you involved in?
- 26:54 – Wildlife encounters in the water
- 29:52 – Safety protocols on longer outrigger canoe paddles
- 31:09 – Instruction and guiding
- 35:30 – Backpacking the Trans-Catalina Trail
- 40:40 – Surfing coach to the “Brad Pitt of Korea”
- 48:05 – Competitive cycling in Europe
- 56:26 – The joy of teaching
Mentioned in this Episode
- Find Michael on Instagram @mkelleydesign
- Michael’s website, SUP Coach.net
- Marina Outrigger Canoe Club
- SCORA (SoCal Outrigger Racing Association)
- Pialolo Challenge (race from Maui to Molokai)
- Trans-Catalina Trail
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
Leave a Reply