The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.
The first Saturday in June is National Trails Day, and in Episode 12, we talk with Kate Van Waes, Executive Director of the American Hiking Society plus AHS Ambassador and long-trail hiking extraordinaire Liz Thomas. This show is all about celebrating those trails of all types, including The Trail Next Door, the really long thru-hikes, and even urban trails.
- 00:30 – Kate Van Waes, Executive Director of the American Hiking Society
- 01:08 – A bit of background on National Trails Day
- 05:00 – National Trails Day during a global pandemic
- 14:37 – LNT reminder as trails reopen
- 15:42 – Reaching and educating new hikers
- 20:26 – Microadventures count, too!
- 21:22 – How Kate got into hiking and camping
- 28:07 – When is National Trails Day, and where you can learn more
- 29:48 – Liz Thomas, ultra-hiking machine and urban thru-hiking pioneer
- 30:27 – How Liz got into hiking
- 31:30 – Encouraging women to solo hike
- 32:25 – How do you define a “long” trail?
- 34:35 – Liz’ FKT on the Appalachian Trail
- 35:26 – What are some of Liz’ essential gear items?
- 36:09 – Treeline Review
- 41:23 – How Liz keeps her gear organized
- 41:39 – Urban thru-hiking
- 50:00 – Waterfalls in Southern California
- 54:35 – Advice for getting ready to thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail
- 57:36 – Zero Days on long trails
- 62:16 – Trail magic
- 68:08 – Advice for thru-hikers not doing that big trail this year
Mentioned in this Episode
- American Hiking Society
- Treeline Review
- Inman 300
- Liz Thomas Hiking
- Hiking Waterfalls Southern California
- Backpacker Long Trails: Mastering the Art of the Thru-Hike
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.